Car break-in on 300 block of Green St

News, Crime, Events, Developments.
Items lost, found and for sale.

Car break-in on 300 block of Green St

Postby Notcoolzeuss » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:18 pm

Just an update for anyone who saw the sirens last night, and were wondering what happened. I heard glass smash around 8PM last night, 11/16, and went to the window. There was an African American man leaning into the rear car window of the car across the street from my apartment with broken glass at his feet. I actually yelled, "I'm gonna call the cops!". He yelled back, "Go ahead and call 'em!" very defiantly, and then started walking down the street slowly. My upstairs neighbor apparently did call the cops, and they were knocking on my door 5 minutes later. They caught the guy around the corner, and took me over to identify him. It was definitely him. I went down to the station and gave a statement to a detective. I'm sure we'll get some more details in the next "incident report". All the officers involved were great, friendly, and helpful. They got there quickly and caught the guy. One less criminal in the neighborhood breaking into our cars, right?
Notcoolzeuss

Re: Car break-in on 300 block of Green St

Postby bernie » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:59 pm

did the cops taze the guy? beat him with their nightsticks??? they need to teach these people a lesson...seriously...

heres the pattern

Dirtbag A breaks into car ....... gets away with it
Dirtbag A breaks into car ........gets away with it
Dirtbag A breaks into car.........gets caught .....slap on the wrist
Dirtbag A breaks into car.........gets away with it
Dirtbag A breaks into car ........gets caught...slap on the wrist
Dirtbag A breaks into car

see a pattern???

unless there is some deterrent this will never end
bernie

Postby Notcoolzeuss » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:37 pm

Maybe I'm being naive, but it seems like in most of these car break-in situations, there is rarely an eye witness to the crime. I saw the whole thing happen. I identified the perp. I gave a statement to the detective on the case. I honestly did these things because I thought it would increase the likelihood of this guy actually doing time for this. Again, maybe I'm being naive, but that's why I spent 3 hours on a Wednesday night at the police station. In hopes of it mattering. Let's see what happens from here. I do like that he told me to go ahead and call the cops, like that was futile, and then he got caught by the cops 5 minutes later. That made me smile.
Notcoolzeuss

Postby bernie » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:18 pm

no..its awesome that you saw the crime and took action!

i hope it makes a difference as well

it really took 3 hours at the police station though? wowzers
bernie

Postby janetf » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:35 pm

Second on the hurrah for you for calling it in and investing the time at the police station. It really is the only way the car thieves get caught.

Townwatch is doing something else right now, so on its behalf, I'll say "Townwatch says: Citizen action is essential! Thank you!"

And getting to see the cops pick him up after he told you to call them? Priceless.
janetf

Postby Notcoolzeuss » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:56 pm

Well the whole fiasco took about 3 hours combined. It wasn't bad. Well worth it. From speaking to Philly cops that I know, it's usually like pulling teeth to get a witness to give a statement, so I was glad to help. It was also an undercover that got him. I won't say what kind of car. They said they have two undercover units patrolling Northern Liberties on most nights, and a couple in Society Hill as well. That was nice to hear. I know people tend to have a lot of complaints against police, with good reason. But in last night's particular incident, I couldn't have been more impressed by our Boys in Blue.
Notcoolzeuss

Postby mcescher » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:51 pm

Great story and bravo for your work here! Got a real kick out of the perp egging you on to call the police. I guess you can say he was asking for it!

We just need to keep up this vigilence and one by one we'll take these thugs off the street.
mcescher

Postby mythaeus » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:15 am

Praises and thanks for stepping up and do what is right.

Al
"In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama
mythaeus

Postby mitchdeighan » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:49 am

Nice work!!!
mitchdeighan

Postby marydankanis » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:51 am

Kudos - and thank you for investing your time as you did. I live around the corner and deeply appreciate the fact that he's now off the street!
Mary Dankanis
marydankanis

Postby Scottcn6423 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:59 am

Good work...thanks for taking action and following through with this!
Scottcn6423

Postby TheSomers » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:48 pm

I 2nd 3rd and 4th the kudos and congrats on the great work! Thank you. ~ Chris
TheSomers

Postby Notcoolzeuss » Fri May 18, 2012 2:18 pm

Unfortunately, this story ended pretty much the way everyone probably thought it would, and I guess I was being naive. I'm the witness that posted this originally. Here's what ended up happening. I received a call, maybe 3 months after this happened, at 10PM on a Wednesday night. I did not answer. They left a message. It was the Philadelphia DA's Office, confirming that I would be appearing in court the following morning at 9AM. The message also stated that I should have received a subpoena stating as much. Well I can assure you, I check my mail, and I did not receive a subpoena. Since I had to work the next day, I ignored the message. If I had been given proper notice, and was able to schedule off from work, I would have done so.

About another month later, I receive a nearly identical call, again not answered, and again asking me to come to court the following morning at 9AM. Against the advice of many friends, I once again ignored it. I wanted to help, but if they continue to give me less than 24 hours notice of a court appearance, this pattern will continue.

A month later, yet another voice mail from the DAs Office. This time the usual message was followed up with a threat, against ME! Saying that I should have received a subpoena, and that if I failed to appear in court, again the FOLLOWING MORNING, the judge could issue a bench warrant for my arrest, and the police could come to my door to arrest me. To say I was perturbed would be a huge understatement. So I returned the call. Explained to the Asst. DA that I had not received anything in the mail on the three separate occasions that I was supposed to have. She simply said, "Sorry.". So I managed to get off from the work the following day, and showed up at court just like I was supposed to. As I waited, I saw many, many cases heard in front of me. I would say that 90% of these "suspects" were getting let off because they're public defender cast a tiny microscopic sliver of doubt to the judge, and the judge agreed. Including my case. Apparently, because I could not describe every square inch of a suspect I had seen at night, six months ago, that meant he had to go free, which he did. After hearing me state my home address on the witness stand, no less.

Now I understand that in this country the burden of proof is on the prosecution, but trust me when I say that many guilty criminals walked out of that courtroom with huge smiles on their faces that day. I spoke to some of the Police Officers that were there to testify, and they gave me a sense of hopelessness. Apparently, what I saw that day in court is fairly normal, according to the officers.

I don't know if it was a liberal judge, or a great public defender. The Asst DA did a fairly good job I thought. But it was just never enough to convince the judge of guilt. I'm not posting this to trash anyone or any system. I hope that if this were to happen again, it would go down differently. Let me once again state that throughout this process, all of the Police Officers I met were exemplary. I know that's not always the case, but it was with me. If I had the point the finger in any direction, it would be at the courts. It was a very disheartening day for me.
Notcoolzeuss

Postby mythaeus » Fri May 18, 2012 2:30 pm

Wow...just...wow...how disheartening to hear. This is exactly why this type of crime will never end, embolden petty thieves and likely to eventually allow them to turn into something worse. I'm sorry you had to go through that and did what you could in such a broken system.

Al
"In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama
mythaeus

Postby TheSomers » Sat May 19, 2012 7:13 am

Notcoolzeus - Wow, that sucks. Thanks for sharing. Not for nothing, I do not know how public defenders and defense attorneys do their profession when they know that the person that they are representing is guilty. It is what it is. And then later on it is these same folks who continue to do these same crimes and often times the crimes are escalated into something far worse when someone loses their life. And over what? An I-pod? A bike? $20 dollars? It is insane.
TheSomers

Next

Return to Northern Liberties Message Board

NorthernLiberties.org Advertising Info